Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I cling to what i see



I don't usually leave the house in the afternoon if i can help it because it's just too hot. But today, after watching The Ashlee Simpson Show and Newlyweds (back-to-back episodes featuring the Simpson sisters! Life cannot get any better.), i decided to go to the nearby coffee shop to buy some tea to cheer myself up.
As i walked, i noticed the quietness that characterises life in the heartlands in the middle of the afternoon. People were strolling and chatting, with smiles on their faces. Even the trees seemed to be taking a short nap as they stood still.
Suddenly struck by the beauty of my neighbourhood, i closed my eyes for a second to take it all in. For the first time in days, my body felt a connection with my soul. It wasn't an 'A-ha!' moment but it was good.
In recent days, i've been thinking about my desire to go to graduate school abroad. Questioning my readiness to move, i felt my desire slowly evaporating. Maybe here is where i'm supposed to be. Maybe here is where my destiny lies. As i become more involved in my choir, i wonder if it will be possible to leave everything behind, bid everyone farewell and fly away.
But as i closed my eyes, something deep inside me stirred and i recalled all my dreams of being in a country with seasons, studying under world-reknowned professors and living independently. I remembered something i had read earlier this morning, that God's will is manifested in our deepest longings.
So as i start to write the script and the music for the musical my church is putting up for Christmas and as i prepare reflections and compose psalms, i will also write my research proposal and apply for my PhD scholarship. I will send in my applications and then i will wait.
If here is where i'm meant to be, here is where i'll stay. And i'm not going to be sad about it.
But if my scholarship application for grad school abroad gets accepted and if the universities like my proposal, then i will go.

Because "each must do as already determined" (2 Corinthians 9:7) and really, your treasure lies where your heart is.

Right. I began this entry wanting to write about the simple pleasures of life (see picture above) but i guess it turned into something different altogether.
But i did sit and have my tea whilst reading one of my favourite magazines.
So, it's all good.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you said about God's will being manifested in our deepest desires.

GOd does not give desires He does not intend to fulfill - Mother Teresa

Pretty cool eh - Hap

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home