Monday, December 13, 2004

All i know is that everything is not as it seems

I sit cross legged on the couch, mesmerized by the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree. I go out to the front porch and look at the tree through the window. What a sight.
Weep to the beauty, if you like. It's a satisfying cry.

I had only minutes before read this line in 'Never Change', a book by Elizabeth Berg i've had on my bokshelf for ages but have only just begun to read. The aptness of that line floors me.
Weep to the beauty, weep to the beauty, weep to the beauty. Let us weep to the beauty.
Posted by Hello

I feel an overwhelming sense of contentment come over me. It's as if a part of my heart that has been blackened by negativity has now been made clean. I want to spin in circles. Round and round. You feel like you're going to fall. But you don't.
You only laugh.

It's the third week of Advent. Marilyn and I had the honour of lighting the candles on the Advent wreath in church over the weekend. I lit the pink candle that symbolises joy. Joy.
The search we're on is fundamentally the search for Joy. We seek joy in places, people, things. But isn't it true that joy can only be found in yourself, in the very core of your existence? Joy doesn't come and go.
Joy is.
When do we stop being fascinated by a full moon, by our shadows, by the fact that we can breathe? Growing up teaches us so many lessons but sadly, growing up makes us lose that sense of wonderment. Too busy. Too tired.

Don't live life thinking that nothing good has come your way. Bad things have happened and they will continue to happen. Your heart will be broken, your loved ones will pass on, that job offer will be taken from you.

But as you weep, i ask that you remember the day you were a child of five, sitting on the floor with your mouth wide open after the fairy lights on the Christmas tree were switched on. Nothing else mattered.

Joy is inside of you. It is. Remember this and weep to the beauty.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

marilyn says:

my dear fren... in case I haven't told u... thank u for being such a dear dear fren.. for being there.. for being u... thank u for being part of my joy ;)

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting these wonderful thoughts and wisdom down on... umm "internet paper"! :0)

Great entry. *hugs*

xox-Michelle

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But isn't it true that joy can only be found in yourself, in the very core of your existence? Joy doesn't come and go.
Joy is."

you expressed it perfectly.

i love your blog, have been visiting but havent really been leaving notes.

Merry Christmas Gen :)

-evading definition

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gen,

I love you and miss you. I still miss your presence on OD, would you believe it? Your writing is always refreshing and beautiful and simple in its meaning. I hope you're happy and I just wanted to wish you an early Merry Christmas, dear. <3 Let's catch up soon, okay?

Love,
Sandy.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

dearest gen,

what a beautiful delight to have you visit my site... and so very lovely to visit yours now too!

ooooh! we are both scorpios! :D

I love your writing hun, and how funny that we have the same template!

deep blessings to you dearheart.

love and laughter,
leonie

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryn: It doesnt matter that you dont live in the US! Silly :0)

Have a great weekend...

Love,
Michelle

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey darlingface - this is aglow (I'm not sure if you were still at OD when I changed my name, but I was .+.DeViLiShAnGeL.+. before) from OD.. I happened to wander across your OD + had completely forgotton that you hadn't stopped writing altogether, you'd simply moved your lovely words to a new place.
How I've missed your incredible energy <3
Merry Christmas, sweetheart! <3

Ashley

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home