Thursday, March 24, 2005

The rest is still unwritten




Having endured rain, cold winds, gray skies and three layers of clothing the past couple of days (i sound like i'm living in the north pole!), i am thankful, today, for the sun and its warmth.

Yesterday was my "Unhappy Gen" day. The weather was dreadful, i felt a tad homesick and everything just felt so wrong. But because i was determined not to participate in the downward spiral of depression, i told myself to get out of the house and do something good for someone else- the best remedy for a sad soul. I joined the Street Teams in church and we went to different houses around the neighbourhood to do some volunteer work- cleaning, tidying or just listening to someone who needs to talk. My team went to a lady's house to help her with her chores. Lisa and I were in charge of the kitchen and we spent an hour and a half wiping the cabinets clean and removing bugs and cobwebs from the shelves. We re-arranged the tuppawares, mugs and dishes.
And during that time, i didn't even think of my own problems. All i wanted to do was see a clean kitchen and Lisa and I were pretty proud of what we managed to accomplish.

The day just kept on getting better after that. My beautful Brazilian friend, Sabrina, invited Tina and me over to her house for coffee. Now, when a Brazilian invites you over for coffee, they're really invting you over for a meal because we were served two different types of cookies, coconut cake, toast, ham and cheese in addition to coffee. I was stuffed but it was sooooo good. I love my friends!

Another thing i love is listening to people from different parts of the world pronounce my name. Yesterday, the boy (read previous entry) shook my hand (we had contact! Ahh!) and i had the pleasure of hearing him say my name out loud.
But he kept on forgetting it so i don't think that's a good sign!

Lent 2005 has probably been my most enriching Lenten season yet. Getting out of my comfort zone, praying so much more, listening to people and re-evaluating myself.

You know how people always tell you that there's a light at the end of the tunnel?
It's true.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't visited in so long but I'm glad I have now! : )

I am super happy to hear you so happy and active. Theres always a great sense of pride after you've picked yourself up off the ground and made a bad day into a fantastic one.

Best wishes,
Cat

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home