Sunday, August 15, 2004

But till that morning, there's a'nothin can harm you

It rained. It finally rained. The smell of wet earth lingers late into the evening. Walking home, i took deep breaths, wanting to remember this freshness, for tomorrow, the heat and humidity will probably return.
As i walked past the synagogue in the late afternoon, i was reminded of my visit to it four years ago when i was taking an introductory Anthropology class and had to visit a place of worship other than my own. I remember walking up nervously to the man at the door and asking if i could sit in for the service. He showed me the way to the second floor because that's where women are supposed to sit. I sat down and looked at the men walking around in the first level, thinking about how out-of-place i felt. Then a woman appeared beside me (a blonde in a pink suit), smiled and sat down. She went on to explain the entire service to me and i spent a while wondering if i should actually be reciting the prayers (would God mind?). Fortunately, that problem was solved because most of it was in Hebrew, a language i neither read, write nor understand. I did end up following whatever was in English though because i didn't see any reason not to. I went into the synagogue a naive 18-year old and came out feeling something akin to awe. I had experienced the religion of Jesus, if only for a few minutes.
Today, i saw a man with a beard wearing a yarmulke. Now, you must understand that the Jewish community here is very small and it's not everyday that one gets to see a man in a yarmulke walking along the streets. I tried to hide a smile as he walked hurriedly to the synagogue. I had forgotten about the menorah, the Torah...and yes, the yarmulke. But this man reminded me of Judaism and traditions. And that made me happy.
On the bus ride home, i heard Tom's Diner on my little radio and that reminded me of Mel and Christmas in July.
Now, i sit here typing and think of Gershwin's Summertime and Love Changes Everything from the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical, Aspects of Love.
This reminds me of that and that reminds me of thisthat.

Love, Love changes everything:
Days are longer, Words mean more.
Love, Love changes everything:
Pain is deeper than before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home