Friday, October 07, 2005

A victim of circumstance



My wine glass is empty. I feel a little less sure, a bit more brave.
It's been a relatively good week and it was wonderful to have some time off work to spend alone and with friends. We had a long weekend this past week and some of us headed to Narabeen, one of the Northern beaches, to have brunch. I left feeling a little bit excited, a bit more curious.
On Wednesday, my hair decided it'd like some red in it.
On Thursday evening, I went to the Borders at Pitt St Mall, ignored all the books yearning to be devoured and headed to the Gloria Jean's on the second level, possibly my favourite GJ outlet in Sydney. I love that it's always relatively quiet and that the baristas are friendly and make good coffee. I had a skinny Irish Nut Creme and sat down with The Bride Stripped Bare which i had brought along with me. Beside me sat a whole bunch of clothes. Yes, i shopped. A lot. But a girl's got to have clothes. Anyways, i've decided that i'm going to be the fashionable academic. While everyone else is thinking about the content to be presented at the sociological conference in December this year, i'm thinking about all the clothes i'd have to buy to look chic. I'm going to talk about South Africa in an oh-so-cool kaftan. I'm determined to be a little more sociable, a little more put together.
Tonight, my flattie and i cooked a feast. I baked muffins for Ingrid and i to have for our picnic breakfast tomorrow and Lise cooked some chicken parmigiana, roast potatoes and salad with mustard and vinegar dressing. So Yum. For dessert, i baked some strawberry strudel. Our kitchen looks a little more messy, a little less clean. Lise and i are also the proud owners of a sofa bed and a red bathroom mat.
It's been a good week.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry made me smile :)

Love, Rel

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello gen,

your delight in simple pleasures make people feel like there is hope amidst the grey and the gloom afterall. =)

-evading.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that things are going well - your dinner sounds delicious!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was right there with the muffins! - jo

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home