Thursday, October 28, 2004

The wind and the rain and the mercy of the fallen

The monsoons have officially changed directions. Thank God for the cool air.

I have come to detest the word 'bumming', which seems to be in the vocabulary of every Singaporean below the age of 35.
Bumming. Verb. Used to describe a person who's not working or studying. Derived from the word 'Bum'. Noun.
I bumped into a friend this afternoon and she asked if i was bumming. Now, i don't know about you but i don't think trying to figure out what i want to do with the rest of my life should be termed 'bumming'.
It means i'm seriously trying to figure out what i want to do with the rest of my life.

It was raining on and off the entire day. I met Len for lunch at O'Brien's and felt somewhat happier after that. I took a train into town, went to the library and came out with ten books. I'm currently reading Betty Smith's A tree grows in Brooklyn. A bag at my side, an umbrealla in one hand and the books in another, i made my way to the bookstore to get my magazine.

My flat-ironed hair doesn't stay straight in this humid country. I am not happy about that.

I think i shall unpack tomorrow. Yeah, i know. I've been back for two weeks. I should have unpacked by now. But i've conveniently pushed the box and luggage under my bed and forgotten about it.

Tomorrow, i'm going to the airport to see Marilyn off. She'll be in New Zealand for two weeks. Ah. The southern hemisphere. Memories. I may also try to get some writing done tomorrow. Maybe get a short story out

The cold wind is really nice, i must say. Very conducive for coffee, books, walking, writing, watching DVDs, listening to Dar on the stereo and snuggling.



4 Comments:

Blogger lil' said...

hey babe... how are u? i want to see your flat ironed hair!

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes. What's happened to my Dar CDs??

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't like that term, either. It makes it sound like we're just sitting around at home all day in our pajamas, in front of the television. I prefer "taking time off" or "exploring my career options."

~Dana

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My straight-as-a-bone hair doesnt hold any style. Just falls right out. Blah.

Enjoy the cooler weather.

-Michelle (love, delia demerise)

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home