Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Not a day goes by




I woke up this morning thinking of the bizarre dream i just had and then remembered that the first thing i was supposed to do every morning was to ask God what he wanted me to do for the rest of the day. It's the latest exercise in my attempts to listen to God's voice and follow his instructions. Well, i asked and he answered saying, "I want you to write."
What can you do after you hear something like that?
I packed the laptop and all my notes and trudged through the rain (i have forgotten what blue skies look like) to my aunts' place where i sat down in the room, put some music on and began writing.

I have begun writing my thesis.

In a way, this is the beginning. My academic dreams seem to have seen the light once again and my love for cultures and people has been ignited. I found a book on Native American Wisdom and remembered the days i spent reading up on Native American tribes and simply appreciating their way of life- so simple and earthly. I dreamt of living with them and writing about their rituals and food and oh, just writing their lives.

I was a young, naive undergraduate then and knew little about what ethnographic fieldwork entailed. I was a Romantic. Now, i am a less young postgraduate (still a bit Romantic) who has a little inkling of what it takes to immerse yourself in a different culture. It's hard.
But i still dream of travelling with my research and writing because this is me. I dream of walking the streets in Paris and talking to people. I dream of taking photographs in Africa. I dream of using my talents to change the world for the better.

"I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you."
Psalm 32:8 NLT


I don't know what's going to happen but at least i know God is guiding me and protecting me and i only need to listen to him carefully.
I'm so glad God wants the very best for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home