Monday, February 27, 2006

The summer ends and we wonder who we are




The summer ends and we wonder who we are
And there you go my friends with your boxes in your car
And today I passed the high school, the river, and the maple tree
I passed the farms that minute
Through the last days of the century
And I knew that I was gonna learn again
Again, in this last hazy light
I saw the fields beyond the fields
The fields beyond the fields



Last night, there was rain and lightning. The cool air that greeted me this morning is a reminder that summer is almost over. We have segued almost unknowingly into autumn. One day, you look up and notice that oh, the leaves are not as green as they used to be. Where has the time gone?

And last night was hard you said
You packed up every room
And then you cried into bed
But today you closed the door
And said we have to get a move on
It’s just that time of year
When we push ourselves ahead
We push ourselves ahead



I want to hold on tightly to the last two official days of summer. Summer. Where you kick off your thongs (flip flops/slippers) to feel the sand between your brown toes. Have a glass of anything cold. Wear tank tops and flowy skirts. Pin a flower behind your ear. Run carefree in the wind.


It was cloudy in the morning
And it rained as you drove away
The same things look different
It’s the end of the summer
It’s the end of the summer
When you move to another place


One day, you will wake up and realise that it is winter. Your cold body will crave hot coffee. Your cold hand will crave another's warm hand. You cold heart will crave soothing words of comfort. You will have a mug of hot chocolate before snuggling under a doona where you will begin to dream dreams of summer; of tank tops and flowers behind ears; of running carefree in the wind.

And the colors are much brighter now
Its like they really want to tell the truth
Give our testimony to
The end of the summer
It’s the end of the summer
We can spend the light to go


(Words in italics taken from The end of the summer by the phenomenal Dar Williams)

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Oh, Genevieve, thank you for your genuine advice on my boy situation and for always encouraging me to trust the Lord more deeply and seek His counsel. It is always so good to read your blog and see how faithfully and joyfully you walk with God. My goodness, it really is hard to let go of everything we hold on to that keeps us comfortable, but away from God. I am finding that so many of the things I thought I was entitled to, I might not be! Security is a big one of those things! That may sound vague, but I hope you know what I mean. I've finally let go of the boy...even though I care about him so much, I just can't keep making such an effort especially when I know he hasn't treated me with respect or special or as a daughter of God. The Lord calling me to step out in faith right now, to trust blindly, to do things that I have been afraid to do...A friend told me recently that praying is wonderful, we are to of course pray without ceasing, but we must also walk forward in faith and expect our prayers to be answered. It's a process, but I have been trying to expect my prayers to be answered rather than waiting for them to be. Especially the prayers where I ask God for strength and courage and perseverance! Well, I'm off to sleep and dreams now, I'll keep praying for you and I that we learn how to surrender even more fully to the Lord.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home