Tuesday, March 28, 2006

And all the roads that lead to you are winding




This morning, I woke up to the sound of furniture being dragged across the floor in the apartment above me. Turns out we have some new neighbours who apparently have no concern for the poor, struggling student living below them. After some muesli, toast and a shower, i decided to take my mountain-high stack of readings and go to Corellis for some soy chai.
I found a seat inside, by the window, placed my order and waited for my chai, which arrived quickly. I begun my routine of lifting the lid off the teapot and marvelling at the froth sitting atop my tea. Using the strainer, i carefully poured the tea into my cup. I sipped some tea. More milky than usual but still good. I put in a teaspoonful of honey. Perfect.
There i sat, with my chai and a journal article. The sun was streaming through the window and the fan behind me made my hair fly gently about me. I felt more like me than i did an hour before.

And then, out of the corner of my eye, i spotted Nick who had just started his shift at Corellis; Nick who i hadn't seen in weeks. Then followed an attempt to dink my chai, read and catch his eye. He changed the CD in the cafe and i heard familiar tunes- Bic Runga's "Sway", Oasis' "Wonderwall" and something by Beth Orton i didn't recognise. And then he said "Hey" and i looked into his eyes. It was a moment, friends. A moment with my waiter. We take what we can get.

Amidst the casual dropping of plates and trays (as is common in Corellis and is one of the reasons why i love this place so much), the whistling and the singing (or rather, badgering) along to "Wonderwall" by the bald chef, the number of people with their coffee and lunch orders, the desire to have an apple, plum and ginger muffin (but then the holding back) and Nick, i did my reading and finished it an hour and a half later.

I walked home, green flowy skirt swishing about me and the wind lifting my hair off of my back. Just another autumn day in Sydney.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your day sounded lovely. :) So peaceful and familiar. I hope you're well, Gen.

Best,
Cat

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home