Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How blessed are those who dwell in Your house




We're smack in the middle of winter, as one can tell from the 10 degree weather here today. It's so cold but it's also refreshing to feel the fresh wind against my cheek whenever i leave the house. Blustery days can be fun too.

I am living at a friend's place while she and her husband are away on vacation for five weeks. I have my own room and bathroom and have everything set up nicely. Clothes remain in suitcases but i'm not too bothered about that. It's a small price to pay for some much needed restoration-of-the-soul. I settled in almost immediately and am enjoying having the use of the pool and gym. Went for a swim the other day and while it wasn't freezing, it was still cold. I'm not sure how heated the water was. But i still managed an hour of laps (good to know that the stamina is still there) easily and would have jumped into the spa after if not for some kids who refused to leave the tub. Can't blame them because it must have been nice and toasty there. It felt so GOOD to swim and use those muscles. I miss exercise but am determined to start a routine again, as well as eating good, healthy food, which i have already started doing. I want to be kind to my body. I was going to use the pool again today but am not sure if my body will take a liking to cold, cold water. I already feel a bit sniffly so i'm going to wait till the rain stops at least.

Yesterday, i took a walk to explore my new neighbourhood. The weather was beautiful after a rain storm; the sky was blue and a fresh breeze was blowing. I walked along Bourke St until i reacher Taylor Square at Darlinghurst and then turned back. Spied three little cafes i would love to have a cuppa at. Cafe Zoe on Chelsea St looks a bit upmarket but seems so warm. Bourke St Bakery is tiny but the smell of fresh bread is intoxicating. I can't recall the name of the third cafe but it looked beautiful and antiquey. It was a fabulous walk and i enjoyed looking at houses and people as i walked merrily along. Can't wait to do it again soon.

I finished reading Elizabeth Berg's 'Year of Pleasures' in two days. I started it last year but couldn't finish it. This time however, i was in the perfect state of mind to read it. It was beautiful, as are all of Berg's books. There's a reason why she's my favourite author. I wouldn't say that this was her best book but it was the right book to read over the weekend and i love the idea of having a year of pleasures. I am sure, despite the bleakness of some days, that i can do at least one thing that brings me great pleasure. Maybe it's walking past a favourite tree or having a hot cocoa at the local cafe or taking an afternoon nap. Whatever it is, however big or small, it's so worth doing these pleasurable things just to remember that we're ALIVE and that so many things have been created for our pleasure and enjoyment.

Today i sat on a step and listened to "Saviour's love" by Hillsong London whilst waiting for Rosemary. I also made a good cup of tea. I am having fish and roast potatoes for dinner and i will savour every moment of cooking and then, every bite.

I can't wait for spring and summer but i'm not going to let this winter go to waste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home