Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Silver moon's sparkling




There are some moments where i am overcome with desire. to desire. My heart leaps and my shoulders loosen; my eyes close almost reflexively and i take a deep breath. I see his face. No, i feel his face. Cheek against cheek. to want. I think about the moment where i will drive up to his office and see him approaching in my rearview mirror. My hands will involuntarily straighten my hair and i will pretend that no, i didn't see you. "Oh, hello. Hey." And then the perfunctory greeting kiss. Not that perfunctory maybe since it doesn't always happen, especially if i'm angry, he's angry or there's a car honking me to move out so they can get my car space on Devonshire St. Sometimes, i think we're going to kiss and then it doesn't happen and i pretend that i didn't move my face a fraction to lean in closer to him. No, it didn't happen. I was just readjusting my seat. Other times, I don't care and cup my hands around his face and kiss like i know how. to enjoy. I want to always feel excited and that doesn't always happen. After a whole day of procrastinating, to enjoy something makes me feel guilty. So i pick him up, decide where to go for dinner and i drive like i know Sydney at the back of my hand. I change lanes, mutter under my breath when a car cuts in in front of me suddenly and then parallel park. He looks at me and i say "What?" in that tone of voice that i do so well. Slightly whingy. And he says, "I just like looking at you." And then i get all shy and wave away that comment. But inside, my heart is happy because i am with a man who likes looking at me. I try not to smile but i cannot help it. My left hand touches his cheek and turns his face away from mine. It's all new. to love. I don't know how to love in a way that is free. But i want to. I don't want to keep secret feelings buried inside which, in two years, result in raised voices and tears. I want to do what i have to do- complete this PhD, take photographs, write, cook, read, have tea. He does what he has to do- work, walk, programming, being intolerant to milk, compose music, write beautiful script that i can look at for hours, go to Peter's for lunch, have juice. And then we do what we have to- love, be kind, be generous, forgive, embrace, sit down at Centennial Park and watch happy families on a Sunday afternoon, have a cheap dinner at Curry in a Hurry, shop for groceries at Bondi Junction, sit in the car and decide where to go next.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, that sounds like such a nice moment to share every day - picking him up from work.

It's so funny to read about you driving - I remember talking to you when you first thinking about buying a car (did you even have a license at that point?)

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RYN: I'm proud of you! That was such a big step for me, being confident enough to drive, especially in the city. Is the car yours, and you're just kind enough to let him drive?

P.S. The boy in question responded to my invitation - but he can't go dancing with us. But, at least it's opened the way for more dialogue!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home