Friday, November 03, 2006

running wild among all the stars above




I feel alive today. Maybe it's because of the rain that has fallen softly on our land, the aftermath of which i enjoyed as i walked the streets of Glebe, arms laden with books i borrowed from the library. Because Sydney doesn't see much rain, i've come to enjoy and even savour each moment of it- the sound, the smell, the feel, the cool winds after. It was a nice respite from the piercing heat that is the norm in late spring and summer. I can't believe we're in the last month of spring. I don't want it to be over. I love the sight of budding flowers on otherwise bare branches and the first time you realise you can go out in a dress and pretty sandals. And then it gets hot and i wish i were on the other side of the world. But now, it's perfect. I mean, right now. As i'm writing this, i can hear the leaves rustling and there's a sweet smell outside to accompany the sweet smells inside emanating from freshly baked pain au chocolats. I love the French name for it. Much better than chocolate croissants. Although when i went to my new favourite cafe (which i have since found out is called Coffee, Tea or Me), i chickened out and ordered a cappuccino and "chocolate croissant", in plain English. I didn't want to embarrass myself by tripping over the words even though i had practiced beforehand. The picture you see here is of my cappuccino on the lovely wooden table with lovely white flowers. Temptation was too great for me and i scooped up a bit of the foam and chocolate powder to taste before i realised that i had wanted to photograph it. It still looks good though. I have been so taken by food and cookbooks recently. And i have been obsessed with anything chocolate inside a flaky puff pastry. Hence my baking pain au chocolats today. It turned out pretty well, especially when teemed with a nice big mug of coffee. Tomorrow, if the weather is clear, i'm going to the Good Living grower's market at Pyrmont to see if i can get some good, fresh vegetables. The supermarket is a terrible place to buy veggies from, i have since realised. I wish my budget allowed me to buy organic, but at the moment, i have to stick with the best of the worst. I feel like my life is expanding to incorporate many new interests and i am pleased. I am pleased with my myself. Might i even go so far as to say that at this very moment, i love myself? Yes, why not. Maybe tomorrow i'll wake up feeling sad. Maybe. But for today, everything's as it should be.
And for that, i give thanks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GEN!!! i miss u so much! when are you coming back? i really miss talking and catching up with you!! i still remember our starbucks days :)

3:07 AM  
Blogger Mr. Shane Pereira said...

why O why didn't you take a picture of the much talked about painful chocolats??

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home