Friday, May 25, 2007

slowing down


That is a photo of the window in my study. The green trees, little droplets of rain and two white ribbons give me a sense of peace, exactly what i need these days.

Yesterday, i decided to go to the library at Glebe, which is a pretty little suburb close to the university. I felt like myself once again as i perused the aisles, one by one, looking for a title that sparked my interest. The feeling of finding a good book, one that you've been waiting to to read forever cannot be replicated. Being in the midst of books soothes my soul and reminds me of who i essentially am.

I left the library with three books- A wedding in December by Anita Shreve, The namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and Shopaholic and sister by Sophie Kinsella. The first book, i've been waiting to read for a while now; the second, i knew i had to read after watching the movie and it's the one i have started on- she's a beautiful writer- so evocative and decriptive; the third is for when i get tired of reading the history of the family for my thesis.

As i walked along Glebe Pt. Road, headed back to the university, i noticed how quaint the little shops and cafes were. I wished i had the time to stop by and browse or have a cup of coffee and a pastry from Le Petit Tarte, a charming little cafe that makes me feel like i'm somewhere in France.

But i continued walking along, slowly.
I refused to brisk walk like i always find myself doing when i'm walking, even if i'm not in a rush.
Slowly, i walked and passed another cafe selling delicious looking cakes. There were two people sitting on a table on the sidewalk, drinking their lattes.

How many things have i failed to notice because i was rushing?
I am determined to slow down and look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home